"If something is important you will find a way...if not you will find an excuse"







Sunday, March 27, 2011

Birch Bay Road Race--15k

Well we did it!  For us non-runners we did fairly well and finished our 9.3 miles in 1.5 hours, with an average mile time of 9:47.  Stacey and I had fun doing some practice runs around Lynden the past few weeks to get ready for this, since we both have bad knees we actually didn't do a ton of running to prepare, mostly cross training, boot camp, and weights.
I was a little anxious before we started, it was a bright beautiful day, but only 40 degrees out by the bay, which I was nervous about my knees being able to warm up.  We knew we could finish and always had the option to walk if we wanted to, but our competitiveness and adrenaline kept us going.  What makes me feel the most excited about this whole race is the fact that we did run it, in the past 15k's and half marathons I have done, I have done a lot of walking mixed with some running. 
The quote of the day overheard by another woman getting ready to start the run "running this 15k is just like having a baby...we are here so we might as well get it over with!"  Stacey and I were cracking up, so throughout our run we were making analogies about how our run was like having a baby, here comes another hill (contraction) oh this is really starting to hurt (our poor knees) etc.... We had fun with it, and can't wait to do another!  Bellingham 15k in September, who is in? :)

The boys were excited to see mommy's medal and really wanted to watch me race..ha ha.  Maybe next time!

8 comments:

mom2my4boys said...

You Rock Julie! Great Job! I am amazed your knees held out. Hope you could walk ok the next day :)

The Mulder Family said...

Great Job Julie...I really want to start running!!

The Van Prices said...

I'm glad that your knees held up without too much pain! ;) Maybe not quite like having a baby... with my experience I think I would rather have a baby! haha :) September sounds nice! Maybe you can be my drill sergeant! Congrats to you and Stacy!

Melodie said...

way to go! that is a great time!

Missionary Mommy said...

Great job Julie! I am a little jealous :) I ran the 15K last September and I loved it. I am looking for one to do while we will be home in July and August. Hopefully something will turn up. Congrats on the run!

Koning said...

Way to go girls. Sounds like a fun race. I am hoping to run the Bellingham in Sept too. We'll have to get some training runs in together!!

michele said...

Good for you!! That is so cool!!

Bethany said...

You go girl! :) What am awesome accomplishment.