We had planned for Chuck to get a dog from this litter for his 60th birthday gift from the family, he had his female chocolate picked out as early as he could visit. One of his friends had this male lab picked out, and the day they were suppose to pick them up, ended up backing out. The owner was kind of upset knowing he could have sold this dog 10 times over because of how many people were interested. Chuck called Chris to tell him, and Chris asked me, do you want to get a puppy? No way, I knew what was going to happen, it would be him working all the time like he does, and ME taking care of 3 boys and a dog. Plus where were we going to keep this dog, we have a pretty small back yard and we always planned to wait until we had more room someday. Well I guess this "someday" was going to be now, Chris said he would help and that the boys would love it. Which we both agree that kids need to grow up with a dog, it teaches them so many things, and all our boys just adore dogs. Brody especially, we call him the dog whisperer. :)
So not 5 minutes after Chuck called Chris we had called the owner, and we had ourselves a 7 week old male chocolate lab puppy! We had 15 minutes before the feed store was going to close, so we got 3 overly excited little boys loaded up in the truck and we were off to get some puppy supplies! With 5 minutes so spare I ran in, picked out a large dog crate, some food, a few toys, and some other odds and ends. Good thing for fantastic customer service at the Whatcom Farmers Co-op, they probably thought I was crazy! But now I am a loyal customer and have made plenty of trips back to support this new family member we have.... MEET KNOX!
He is a pooping, peeing, biting, destroying, lovable, sweet, and BIG puppy! His parents are larger labs, and have that block face look. His paws are huge, so in the first week alone I think he has almost doubled in size, we are going to end up with a big dog. Just what we need right? After the first night of only getting two hours of sleep with a whinny dog in the laundry room we moved straight to plan B. Garage: crate and gated area. So much better, he does not cry at all in his crate/cage, so nights are awesome. Now for the cleanup, I really could do without that, or having to get up 20-30 minutes earlier to get him outside to go. I know kids are a lot of work, but on top of my kids needs, and this puppy, these past 2 weeks have been a wild ride!
The boys love him...I mean really love him, even though Knox is still learning that he can't jump up and rip all of their clothes. Knox has definitley left his mark so to say in lots of clothing and toys... Oh the joys of a puppy!
Kyler's new favorite words "No Knox!"
We joke about being "officially Knoxed" he will knock you right over and loves to tackle and join in the big dog pile!Isn't he getting big!!!!?
Chucky thinks he is going to end up with two puppies? Coco is his little girl, but the boys call her coconut...Brother and sister
He really is a very good dog, if you don't count all the accidents he has in the house. He loves the water already, and never cries at night or during the day. He sticks around, and although we keep him pretty contained, he seems like is going to be a very loyal dog. 2 weeks in, I often think we might have made a wrong decision for all the work he is and things he has ruined...BUT he has definitely made himself a part of the family, and we can't help but love our Knoxy.
Chris and I will be married 8 years next week, I jokingly told him "Well I guess after 8 years we can finally get a dog, we managed to survive with 3 kids, lets just add another!"




2 comments:
Oh Julie, your story sounds all to familiar. :) Congrats on the new little family member!
Oh my gosh! I wish we could get together and compare stories!!! Knox and Nellie would have a ball!! I love having this puppy!! But the accidents in the house make me crazy. I love seeing these pictures of your new addition.
Post a Comment