"If something is important you will find a way...if not you will find an excuse"







Thursday, November 3, 2011

Big Bonk

As I was going though pictures this one reminded me of a night a couple weeks back where we ended up in the ER with Kys.  Yes make that another visit on our list of unexpected adventures.  Glad things are okay, but at the time it got to be pretty scary.

So typical night in the Price house, boys are full of energy and it is hard to keep them from wrestling around and being boys...  Kyler was on his knees on the couch ottoman, and made some sort of noise or gesture at Brody, which in return Brody pushed Kyler backwards.  Chris saw this happen and Kyler landed hard directly on the back of his head.  This was not the first time that someone fell, rolled, or jumped off the couch, but the position he was in and the way he landed made for a bad combination.

He cried REALLY hard which he is normally a very tough kid physically... I held him for a long time and Brody got in big, big, big, trouble.  He seemed to be okay after a while and we went back to a normal evening.  He was having fun and just being normal KyKys.  About an hour or two later when we were getting everyone in bed, he just started acting really fussy, kind of wobbly, etc...  So my thinking was he probably has a headache, so I gave him some Tylenol, and we did our normal routine and put him to bed....  Well that did not settle well with him, he sometimes cries a little before falling asleep, but this night he woke up after only about 20 minutes of being asleep screaming for me, and calling my name.  So I go in there, and find him just kind of "off".  Which brought back a very frightening memory of when he had his fever seizure, but  not to that extreme.  He was very spacey, clingy, and just wanted his head on my shoulder which is never him.  He also kind of had a vacant stare about him and just wanted to be held.  So I bring him downstairs and put him in bed with Chris, get out my ipad and start Googling some head stuff, and then the signs of concussion, because it just popped into my head....Well after I read that I called the doctor right away and they wanted him to be seen right away.  Which is good because as time went on, he started getting less and less focused and aware, which really scared me, I knew I just had to keep him awake.  Chris stayed home with the boys and I picked up my dad on the way so he could drive and I could sit with the car light on and distract Kys from falling asleep.  The drive in there was giving me huge anxiety, that 30 minutes seems like an hour when you just want to get there NOW. 

When we get there Kys starts crying hard because of his own anxiety of just being in a doctors office or hospital and was acting scared and out of it.  They got him in really quickly and within 2 hours we were fully checked out and on our way home with a much more alert boy.  He was diagnosed with a mild concussion, and we were sent home with strict instructions on waking him up every 2 hours and other signs to look for.  He proved his persistence once again and cried the whole time we were there, and kept shaking off and on, I think now my dad finally believes me what he is like in unfamiliar places.  Poor little buddy.  He did walk around for quite a while and say "bonk" and touch his head, SO GLAD and THANKFUL that he is okay!

We had a big family talk the next morning and the boys were under strict orders to not touch Kyler, because as the doctor explained it, they treat him just like an athlete who cannot play sports for 2 weeks, so for that amount of time we have to protect him from hitting his head again... GREAT!  It really only took Kyler a good 24-48 hours to seem back to his normal self.  Thank goodness....  Brody did feel really bad, and still talks about how sad he is for making KyKy to go the hospital and how he is going to be nice to KyKy.... Oh the lessons we learn, and I just pray for safety of these wild and active boys!

No comments: