I have done runs in the past, but I have found it is getting harder and harder to do these things because of the time it takes to train, and to stick with it. My knees are worthless, and after my third surgery they told me that running shouldn't be in my routine, and for some reason I keep coming back for more. No pain no gain, and yes I am only 30 and want to be able to walk, but at the same time I am finding that the benefits I get physically and emotionally out weigh the negative (for now anyway). So this time I hired Care to find the best running program for someone that could only run 3 times per week (to get the most out of my knees), and so now I am going on 4 weeks strong and loving every mile of it, or learning to love every mile of it! We will see how I feel at miles 10+, right now 4-6 feels pretty good!
Moms know what it is like to schedule everything around everyone else's schedule... Chris' crazy work schedule, Crew's 2 nights of basketball, Wednesday night church, Chris' 1 night of basketball, and and and...life will continue to be busy, and I personally kind of thrive on that challenge... So my time is usually after the kids go to bed, or early in the morning before they wake up. I am really learning to love and appreciate the dark cool and windy, rainy nights/mornings of just me and the road. I even got this really cool blinking arm band (Chris makes fun of me, but I don't care!), and am obsessed with the Runtastic App that Joelle got me hooked on that tracks your mileage and time, so I can constantly try to keep improving. People that run know the feeling it gives you, the empowerment, sense of accomplishment, and the addiction to keep pushing yourself. So even though I could choose to use every excuse in the book, I realize I am only cheating myself and I love the mom I am when I can get my run in....
Motivational quotes are great, and Nike has some fun ad campaigns that they have run for women (although I wear Asics!) so I thought I would share... They keep me going and focused, along with Care, Stacey, Joelle, and Sarah my running teammates who will be running this too!
I will never be a 'skinny' runner type of girl, and missing my days of volleyball and not being able to play at all anymore, I love still competing and getting that rush of adrenaline...










5 comments:
This is inspiring. I have been pushing myself to find time for exercise -- some running and I really like yoga and strength training too. I feel SO much better when I make the time.
This post is cool! Way to go!!
Love this Julie! You've inspired me once this baby arrives to take some time for myself and get back to the gym. A healthy & happy mama makes for a happier family!
Love it!! Can't wait to cross that finish line with you. You need to read Run Like a Mother. They also have a blog and Facebook page. It's all about being a mom and running. Very fast read too. I am glad you are enjoying it so much, there is nothing better than a good run and the feeling you have when finished. Miss you bestie!!
so proud of you Jules! Good for you for just doing it. I know how hard it is to find time :)
I LOVE THIS!! im so excited for you :) if you ever need a running buddy i'm your girl :)
Post a Comment