Maybe stubborn parents produce stubborn kids? Probably. After all Crew and Brody were 3 before they got it and when I say "got it" it wasn't overnight, it was long hard days, and we did everything we did from charts with stickers, to candy, reading potty training books,to consistency, to positive reinforcement, to potty dances you name it before they finally decided when THEY were ready. Key word THEY. So if one more parent tells me my kid was potty trained at two and it wasn't that big of a deal, I might scream.
So yet again I thought well I got this down, Kyler your up buddy boy, it's Monday and you WILL be potty trained by Friday. Hahaha. Talk about the battle of the stubborn people. Me vs. Kyler, guess who won? After 5 days of hard core, me and him, potty chair, treats, on the toilet every 20 minutes, lots of crying, and just wanting his diaper back on....Winner is Kyler. So bummed because I almost feel like I wasted 5 days of my life sitting there trying to make this fun, and not lose my patience, and remain super positive. We had spouts of sitting on the toilet for anywhere to 20-80 minutes in one sitting before he would eventually lose small battles and "go". He NEVER once in those 5 days told me he had to go, or would go before 20 minutes of sitting there. Keep in mind I have a 4 and 6 year old that are not wanting to sit around and WAIT for Kys to "go" either. Although we did our darnedest to make it a group effort, we all cheered, we all celebrated together with M&M parties, and high fives, and called dad when it did happen, but I guess it just wasn't the right time, because HE wasn't quite ready to make the call and do this.
So we called it Round 1 and left it at that...I really wanted him to be potty trained before we went on vacation again because swim diapers aren't allowed in the big pool.... We will try again maybe in a couple weeks. One positive thing since this though is he wants to be changed RIGHT away if he goes number 2, so I know he is probably close to not wanting diapers, but we will see when HE DECIDES the time has come. Patience, there doesn't seem to be enough to go around these days :)
For now here are some pics from Round 1: I don't even want to add up the time we spent together sitting on the potty chair for 5 days, but none the less, call it Mama and Kys bonding time!
Taking subs for Round 2, any takers?




1 comment:
Ah Jules!! You know I feel the same way after potty training Jax. It is SO hard, especially when you see other boys who are 2 and already potty trained and it was no big deal. I seriously stressed out about getting Jax potty trained and I felt like I was partially failing as a mom by not having him trained earlier. However, once he did get it it was because he was TRULY ready and he was 3 years and 2 weeks old:). You were much more persistent than me though. I would give it 2 days and if he wasn't showing any signs of really getting it I gave up and tried again 2 weeks later, however I started trying when he was 2.5 and it continued every 2 weeks until he got it. UGH, it was a nightmare! I hope Case is easier, I guess I got lucky with Colt. Miss you bestie and your cute kiddos. Colt and Jax can't stop stop talking about all 3 of them!
Post a Comment