"If something is important you will find a way...if not you will find an excuse"







Tuesday, November 17, 2009

Good and Bad

So after a really not so good Sunday and horrible Sunday night of Kyler not eating and not sleeping for 10+ hours we called down to our doctor at Children's and they wanted us to head down there for some more tests.

We had an upper GI done and a head ultrasound to see what could be giving him times of such extreme distress and pain. But they found nothing, which is good! But.... so how can this baby not sleep, have a very hard time eating, and scream the way he does? This just isn't a cry, we are talking loud wail, body cramping, face bright red and all scrunched. Making even the doctors think there has to be something else wrong. Well unfortunately we don't do anything average in this family. COLIC! Which we knew he had before we just did think it would be this bad. So keeping up on the Elecare formula and prevacid is the only "treatment" for now. We will go back to Children's again next week for a follow up appointment, and talk about how often we will have to go down there, and what we can take care of locally at our pediatrician's office.

So we talked to the doctors they gave us the whole break down on colic, and drew up a nice pretty line on the board. 1/6 babies have some degree of colic, but just like anything else not all colic is the same. It seems I have heard of a lot of babies that have colic (Chris had colic when he was a baby) and I don't here of a lot of people have to go to the hospital because of it.... So this is what they said A "0"= happy baby :) "5"=Colic baby, guess where Kyler landed, yep 9.5-10. So because he is so distressed which makes him not eat what he is suppose to we have to take him in for weigh ins a couple times a week, it he doesn't gain weight on his own we will have to do supplemental tube feedings at home... I am praying this does not happen, I don't do well with that and while at Children's Kyler was always pulling his out and I can only imagine what Crew and Brody would try to do.

Also they seemed pretty concerned for Chris and I knowing what kind of colic case we were dealing with on top of having 2 young kids already. Also Kyler's started a lot earlier than most kids, and they think the worse could still be coming. Less than 2 hours of sleep at night? Here we go! So we are praying a lot and trying to stay positive and enjoy our precious screaming Kyler :) I was looking back at pictures of Crew and Brody at his age and there are all of these pictures of them hanging out on the couch, in their swing, bouncer's, ect. To find Kyler mellow enough is very rare, I did finally get a few pictures the other day!

I am still looking forward to getting professional pictures taken for him, going some where other than the grocery store or doctor's office, and spending some more time with Crew and Brody and having some else have Kyler. Mornings like today when I am trying to get the boys ready, and Kyler screams all morning, it is very hard to be patient with Crew and Brody, get them ready and feed them, and try to console Kyler at the same time. I am going to have to be way more organized and try to plan these things and try to do my best to not let these hard days and nights get the best of me. The good news is most babies outgrow this by 6 months. One month down! I know that God would never give me anything I couldn't handle with His help and I am reminded of this so often. Staying positive and praying for strength! Phil 4:13.

2 comments:

Pemberton Family said...

ARGH! I am sooo sorry Jules. I wish I lived closer (though I probably wouldn't be very good help right now anyway:)). Hang in there. You are a great mommy and you love your boys so much, they know that! Miss you.

The Jernigan Family said...

You are right, God would never throw anything at you that you can't handle, and remember, this too will pass and you can only do the best you can, and at the end you will be able to look back and see what you have overcome. I had to take Sage in for weight checks and one of the things they added to the breastmilk or formula was HMF (Human Milk Fortifier) that added extra calories. Stay strong, and if you need a break, we have a spare room in Olympia!